9.19.2006

The Beauty of Music

I have always loved music. I can remember delivering newspapers as a kid and I would usually sing as I slung the papers to the front steps of the homes. There would be times when I was just so happy that I would actually try to make new songs as I covered my route. I can imagine that the people I passed thought that I was crazy or something because I don't have a gift when it comes to writting music, but I didn't care because I just wanted to sing.

When I was in middle school, I promised my parents that if they got me a guitar I would practice every day. Well, they got me a guitar but it just sat in my room collecting dust. I wanted to play the guitar but I just didn't want to put the effort into practicing it. That's the cool thing about getting older. I have come to realize that some of the joys in life take hard work and discipline.

guitarLast December, I purchased a new guitar, this time making the promise to my wife that I would practice it and not allow it to collect dust like my first guitar. I'm older now and a little more mature, and I now know that I can make this piece of wood with strings attached to it make beautiful music, but it takes hard work and discipline. While I am no Sween or Billings, I am learning how to make music. There is something inside of me that is not simply content to have music played for me...I desire, I crave to make music myself. And while those around me may think I'm crazy with what they hear coming from my guitar, I know that God considers my music beautiful. And that's what I think is the beauty of music. I am not playing my guitar for you or for me, but I am playing it for God and if I only ever play it for Him, that makes all hard work and discipline worth it.

2 comments:

Billings said...

I like how you throw me in the same category of Sween, thanks for the ego boost.

Angela said...

You ARE making beautiful music, and I am enjoying watching you learn!
You're wonderful.