5.20.2006

Death Of A Salesman

Today, I was out to lunch with one of my adult leaders. As we were leaving the restaurant I saw a salesman trying to sell the restaurant an ad space in the local phone book. I commented to my adult leader that it would suck to be a salesman trying to convince someone that they needed what you were selling. I didn't think much of it until I got back to my office and started brainstorming on how I can convinvce teens to come to youth camp this summer. All of a sudden I realized that in some ways I was just like that salesman I witnessed. Now mind you, what I am trying to sell is of much more importance than just any earthly thing. Teens are very picky about how they spend their time and when there is so much competing for their attentions, sometimes I lose to the competetion.

The hard part of it is that it makes me weary just thinking about it. The last thing I want to do is sell something no matter how great it is. I wish that we didn't have to convince teens how much they needed God; I wish that they just knew. I know that there is a balance between just lettling it all happen, allowing teens to miss out on things and hearing about it later, and doing everything in your power to get them out to something that will change their lives. The hard thing for me is always knowing where that line is and when to leave it up to God. If I had it my way, the salesman would just die.

3 comments:

b.rando said...

that's a tough one, buddy. i know how you feel about the sales stuff...

i don't have any answers. i'll let you know if i have a flash of brilliance, but don't hold your breath.

Angela said...

I love you.
-guess who!

Robin said...

Good stuff, Morgan.

By the way, my blog address has changed:

www.robinwhiteonline.com/blog

... can you update your link? You can link to the blog as above or to my homepage by removing "/blog". Thanks.