4.06.2006

The Oxymoron That Is Preaching

I don't know about the rest of you, but preaching has always been a love-hate relationship for me. When I first came on staff here @ skyline, Dale told me that he wanted me to preach once a month. He explained to me that it would be good practice. For about the first year and a half, I was bitter about this. I told myself that preaching wasn't my focused, that youth suffered because I had to devote the week to preparing my sermon. The real truth of the matter was that I was afraid. I was afriad that all this "practice" meant that I wouldn't always be a youth pastor. I was afraid that I might mess-up and preach something that wasn't theologically correct. I was afraid to admit that maybe, just maybe, I have a gift of preaching.

Why is it that we fear to embrace that which we are called to do?

Why can't I accept the way God made me and use it for His glory?

Why have I allowed fear to rule my life instead of God?

I still have fears, but I am learning to let go of them and trust God. I'm no longer bitter about preaching once a month. It is good practice and whatever God may have in store for me down the road, I know that he will give me the grace to walk that path when the time comes. I guess what I am saying is don't allow your fears to govern your life. Instead of running from what it is that you are afraid of, turn around and face it head-on.

4 comments:

Angela said...

I'm so proud of you for facing your fears to become a better servant of Christ! I love you, and think you are a very anointed preacher.

Robin said...

Dude I can relate to the love/hate thing. With me, though, it's my procrastinating nature coupled with my desire to do it right and say something profound but my fear I won't say anything anyone hasn't heard before.

b.rando said...

why is it that i am just now discovering your thought-pad? take this!

*punch in the groin*


p.s. how do you get that current album of choice thing on your sidebar? will you share of your vast knowledge?

Elizabeth said...

good thought, i relate to the fear. actually need to share something with you. could you email me lives_4jc@hotmail.com